Saturday, July 19, 2014

MY SUMMER SKINCARE ROUTINE + MINI PRODUCT REVIEWS (ETUDE HOUSE, IT'S SKIN, BIORE, BIFESTA, DHC, THE BODY SHOP)

I believe skincare routine should not be permanently fixed. Instead, it must be changed according to the weather, environment and skin condition. I previously wrote about my spring skincare routine, but as it's summer now, I want to do an updated regime. Since it's scorching hot now, my skin has changed from normal/dehydrated to combination/oily and acne-proned. As a result, I tend to use light but still hydrating products to keep my skin clear and moisturized. 

A.M. 


  • Cleanser: Etude House Baking Powder Pore Cleansing Foam
This is my favorite summer cleanser as it's light, non-stripping, non-drying yet effective in getting rid of dirt and oil on my face. It has a refreshing lemon scent which I absolutely love because I feel like it wakes me up in the morning. It's also free of alcohol, mineral oil, fragrance and paraben. Another bonus point is the super affordable price and its huge size (170ml). 
- Ingredients: glycerin, water, potassium stearate, potassium myristate, PEG-32, stearic acid, micro-crystalline cellulose, myristic acid, potassium laurate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium bicarbonated (0.1%), citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil, lauric acid, glyceryl stearate, disodium EDTA, lauramide DEA, PEG-100 stearate, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, sodium benzoate
  • Toner: It's Skin Supersize Peeling Softner
Don't be freaked out by the word "peeling" in the name because the product is actually quite gentle. It's claimed to be an exfoliating toner, but I don't think it can replace the regular exfoliators like peeling gel, scrubs, etc. at all. Having said that, it does make my skin feel smooth, cool and refreshed after each usage. The 400ml bottle lasts for a very long time too. However, I am a little bit disappointed in the lid quality. Below is a photo of the lid in its original form:


After about 2 months, the white plastic part came off like this:


I managed to put it back but it still comes off every now and then, which is admittedly quite annoying. When I used this toner in winter, it did make my skin feel a little bit tight, though not dry, so if you have really dry skin, I'm not sure if this product is suitable for you.

  • Eye cream: It's Skin Collagen Voluming Eye Cream

I used to use It's Skin Brighten System Eye Cream, and while it was good, the price was a little bit steep for me. This Collagen Voluming Eye Cream is half of the price of the former one, and it performs just as brilliantly. It absorbs quickly because of the light texture and moisturizes my eye area really well. The cream also doesn't irritate my eyes or give me milia. It's free of paraben and alcohol. One thing I dislike about it is the heavy scent, which lingers for quite a while after each usage.
  • Serum: It's Skin Power 10 Formula VE Effector with Vitamin E derivatives
I wrote a full review about this product before, so please click here to read it. In short, it's a light, moisturizing and radiant-boosting serum. I've used for so long that it lost the anti-blemish effect on me, but it's still doing a great job in brightening and plumping my skin.
  • Sunscreen: Biore UV Perfect Milk SPF50+ PA+++
I don't use sunscreen on my face in the summer because all the ones I've tried so far turn my face into an oil slick after 2 hours. Instead, I use Skin79 VIP Gold Collection Super+ Beblesh Balm SPF25 PA++ and top off with Skin79 Sun Protect Beblesh Pact SPF30 PA++. I know many dermatologists said that sun protection in makeup is not enough, but I think this combo works for me as my skin neither get tanned nor burned when I use these. Besides, I don't have to go out in the sun that much anyway. However, I do use Biore UV Perfect Milk SPF50+ PA+++ on my neck and body. It's a waterproof sunscreen with a super light texture which enables it to sink into the skin right away without leaving any white cast behind. It protects my skin from getting burned, but my skin will still tan if I go into the sun frequently. I don't recommend this to people with dry skin because it does contain quite a lot of alcohol.
- Ingredient (source: ratzillacosme.com): cyclomethicone, dimethicone, alcohol, zinc oxide, water, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, lauryl methcrylate / sodium methacrylate crosspolymer, polymethylsilsesquioxane, glycerin, talc, polysilicone-9, PEG-12 dimethicone, titanium dioxide, methicone, PEG-3 dimethicone, dimethicone/methicone copolymer, cetyl-PG hydroxyethyl palmitamide, alumina, silica, BHT, fragrance

P.M.


  • Eye makeup remover: Bifesta Eye Makeup Remover
This eye makeup remover is light, gentle, non-greasy and non-irritating, yet it manages to take off my waterproof mascara and eyeshadow so quickly and effortlessly. I just pour it onto two cotton pads, place them on my closed eyes for about a minute and voila, everything is off! I see lots of people rubbing their eyes to remove makeup, but please don't do that because it'll damage the sensitive skin around the eyes and create fine lines/wrinkles. 
  • Face makeup remover: Bifesta Cleansing Liquid
This stuff is my holy grail, because it's not only an excellent water-based makeup remover but also an exfoliator! I know it sounds weird, but this is the only product I use now to remove my dead skin cells. Whenever my skin feels rough and congested, I'll massage this on my dry face for about 3-4 minutes, and I can actually see the white heads under my skin come out, which is both gross and satisfying at the same time. My skin always feel so smooth and moisturized after using this, possibly because of the hyaluronic acid in it. It's also free of oil, mineral oil, alcohol, fragrance and paraben.
- Ingredients: water, PEG-8 glyceryl isostearate, dipropylene glycol, butylene glycol, isopropyl myristate, hydrogenated polyisobutene, cetyl ethylhexanoate, glycerin, propylene glycol isostearate, PEG-12 laurate, hydroxypropyltrimonium hyaluronate, PEG-6 caprylic/capric glycerides, citric acid, sodium citrade, caprylyl glycol  
  • Cleanser: Etude House Baking Powder Pore Cleansing Foam
  • Toner: It's Skin Supersize Peeling Softner
  • Eye Cream: It's Skin Collagen Voluming Eye Cream
  • Serum: It's Skin Power 10 Formula VE Effector with Vitamin E derivatives
  • Cream: It's Skin Toma Jelly Cream


Despite its name, this cream is actually a gel. I don't use it everyday because I feel like it's a bit too much for my oily skin. However, I use it on top of It's Skin Power 10 VE when my skin is dry or dehydrated. It absorbs quickly and moisturizes my skin quite well. It also doesn't clog my pores or break me out. I have nothing to complain about this, but I think it's been discontinued in Korea already because it's no longer listed on itsskin.com.
  • Lip Balm: DHC Lip Cream

First of all, this is not a lip cream, it's a lip balm! It is odorless, moisturizing and the packaging is just so cute. It doesn't feel sticky if I only apply one layer; thus, it's the only lip balm I've tried so far that can be used under lipstick without interfering with the color payoff. Having said that, my lips rarely get dry so I usually just use it at night before bed. I think it'll last for 4 months since I only apply it once a day. 

SPECIAL TREATMENT


Once or twice a week, I use The Body Shop Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask to deep clean my face and eliminate the small bumps under my skin. It's also my go-to acne treatment. Whenever I have blemishes, I'll dot this mask on the spots and leave it there for 1-2 hours, then wash it off. I do it every day until they are all gone, basically. Before this, I was using Origins Clear Improvement Active charcoal mask to clear pores, but even though it's like double the price of The Body Shop mask, it's just not as good. Once again, my skin seems to prefer affordable stuffs over high end ones. 

That's it for my summer skincare routine. I hope this'll be helpful to you. See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment