Sunday, June 15, 2014

COLLECTIVE EYE CREAM REVIEW: CLINIQUE, ETUDE HOUSE, KOSE, BOBBI BROWN, IT'S SKIN

Today I'd like to talk about all eye creams I've used so far. Some will not be mentioned here because they've been discontinued, and I've already reviewed Skinfood Salmon Brightening Eye Cream on my blog, so please click on the name if you're interested in it. The products will be presented in a chronicle order, from the first one I've ever tried to the one I'm currently using.

1. Clinique All About Eyes

(source: clinique.com)
  • Claims: Works for all skin types. This lightweight eye cream diminishes the appearance of puffs, undereye circles. Non-creep, cream/gel formula actually helps hold eye makeup in place. Ophthalmologist Tested. 
  • Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Isostearyl Palmitate, Polyethylene, Butylene Glycol, Polysilicone-11, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Morus Bombycis (Mulberry) Root Extract, Caffeine, Phytosphingosine, Triticum Vulgar (Wheat Bran) Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Cholesterol, Linoleic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Pyridoxine Dipalmitate, Sucrose, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Glyceryl Laurate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Quaternium-18 Bentonite, Petrolatum, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, PEG-8, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Metabisulfite, Iron Oxides (source: paulaschoice.com)
  • My opinion: This was the first eye cream I used, and I was very disappointed in it. It did absolutely nothing for my dark circles; but to be fair, I was born with them, so no eye cream could get rid of them anyway. However, the ultimate deal breaker for me was the fact that it stung my eyes (and I don't even have sensitive eyes!). Its only redeeming points were its moisturizing property and the cute jar, but for the high price, I expected something more than that. 
  • Score: 4/10
  • Repurchase?: No!

2. Etude House Collagen Moistfull Firming Eye Cream


(source: etude.co.kr)
  • Description: Etude House Moistfull Collagen Firming Eye Cream is a gel type eye cream. It’s specially formulated adhesive jelly texture, provides long-lasting contact for better results. Firms surrounding eye area for smoother younger looking skin. Collagen properties increase collagen synthesis, plumping the skin and allowing an increase in elasticity. Baobab seed oil contains abundant amount of nutrients to nurture the dry skin area around the eyes. (source: prettyandcute.com)
  • Ingredients: Water, Butylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Glycerin, HDI/ Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Adansonia Digitata Fruit Extract, Silicia, Adansonia Digitata Seed Oil, Glyceryl, Sterate, Decyl, Cocoate, Dimethicone, Ceteth-20, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Steareth-20, Ethylhexylgleryin, Octyldodecyl, Myristate, Xannthan Gum, Carbomer, Polysorbate 20, Polyacrylate-13, Polyisobutene, PEG-60Glyceryl Isosterate, PEG-75 Stearate, PPG-5-Laureth-5, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Triethanolamine, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (source: prettyandcute.com)
  • My opinion: I didn't actually buy this cream but I tried some sample sachets of it. Prior to this, I'd used up a tube of Etude House Collagen Moistfull Eye Cream (which is now discontinued), which I didn't like much because it wasn't moisturizing enough for me in winter. This Firming Eye Cream, however, I really liked because it was so light yet hydrating. It absorbed really fast and didn't irritate my eyes in any ways. It didn't do much for my fine lines though, but since mine are not age- or dehydration-related, I don't think anything can fix them. 
  • Score: 7/10
  • Purchase?: Probably not. Now that I'm older, I'm not sure if this is still moisturizing enough for me.

3. Kose Sekkisei Supreme Whitening Eye Cream


(source: Kose's facebook)

  • Description: A whitening eye cream that evens out and brightens the overall skin tone around the eyes. Helps reduce the appearance of dark spits and leaves the eye area deeply moisturized and visibly luminous.
  • Ingredients: water (aqua), butylene glycol, hydrogenated polydecene, petrolatum, cetearyl alcohol, diglycerin, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, PEG-40 stearate, ascorbyl glucoside, behenyl alcohol, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, dipentaerythrityl hexahydroxystearate/hexastearate/hexarosinate, hydrogenated polyisobutene, acorus calamus root extract, angelica acutiloba root extract, centella asiatica extract, coix lacryma-jobi ma-yuen seed extract, coix lacryma-jobi ma-yuen seed water, melothria heterophylla root extract, polygonum tinctorium leaf/stem extract, alcohol, BHT, dimethicone, disodium EDTA, disodium phosphate, ethyl oleate, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, hydrogenated lecithin, sodium hydroxide, sodium phosphate, xanthan gum, methylparaben, fragrance (parfum) 
  • My opinion: In my humble opinion, this eye cream doesn't deserve the staggering price I paid for it. First of all, there are a lot of questionable ingredients in it, like petrolatum (a.k.a. mineral oil), alcohol (in an eye cream, really?) and paraben. Now I don't have any problems with mineral oil in cheap/affordable creams (like Nivea Soft and Nivea Creme) or cleansing products (Bifesta Eye Makeup Remover), but in high-end skincare? Mineral oil is a very cheap ingredient, and it's supposed to block other ingredients from penetrating into the skin, so the fact that it's the 4th ingredient on the list means that every other herbs extract has no means to be absorbed. This cream felt heavy and greasy on the skin, and it just kind of sat on my eye area and refused to sink in, even though I only applied a green-bean-sized amount. I didn't experience any brightening effects; in fact, my eyes just looked dull and tired due to the greasiness it gave. I also found the scent overwhelming rather than relaxing. The only good point was that it didn't sting my eyes. 
  • Score: 4/10
  • Repurchase?: No!
  • Update: I've just done a search on kose.co.jp and it seems that this product has been discontinued!

4. Bobbi Brown Extra Eye Repair Cream

 
(source: bobbibrowncosmetics.com)

  • Description: Do your eyes need something extra? Packed with peptides, natural plant oils and humectants that target fine lines, wrinkles, dark circles, puffiness and dryness, this rich, concentrated cream visibly revives eyes. Use morning and night - warm between fingers, then pat gently around eye area. Once cream is absorbed, follow with Corrector and Creamy Concealer. Dermatologist tested. Ophthalmologist tested. 
  • Ingredients: Water, Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycerin, Ceresin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Acetyl Glucosamine, Pentylene Glycol, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Lanolin Alcohol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Bran) Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Asparagopsis Armata Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Morus Bombycis (Mulberry) Root Extract, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Extract, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caffeine, Sucrose, Silica, Cholesterol, Sorbitol, DI-C12-15 Alkyl Fumarate, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Behenyl Alcohol, Hydroxystearic Acid, Micrococcus Lysate, PEG-8 Distearate, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Trehalose, Linoleic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Trisodium EDTA, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol (source: paulaschoice.com)
  • My opinion: Why do these purse-rippingly expensive eye creams contain petrolatum? This one is even worse as it's the second ingredient! This product is so rich and thick that no matter what I did (i.e. warm the cream between my fingers, apply a tiny amount), it still didn't sink in. While it sat on my skin, it did blur out my fine line, but the effect disappeared right after it was washed off. Similar to Kose eye cream, it didn't brighten my eyes or lighten up my dark circles and I was left with greasy and dull-looking eyes. My Bobbi Brown Corrector and other concealers still creased on my lids and under my eyes. Well, at least the pot was cute and I didn't experience any irritation when using this. 
  • Score: 4/10
  • Repurchase?: No!

5. It's Skin Brighten System Eye Cream




  • Description: Eye cream that is mixed with fruit extract and pearl extract. Creates bright and vivid eyes. (source: en.koreadepart.com)
  • Ingredients: No idea as it's all written in Korean.
  • My opinion: I'm currently using this one and I really like it. It doesn't give me any brightening effects but it's light, easily absorbed, non-irritating and moisturizing enough for me even in cold weather. It's just a simple and non-fussed eye cream. It's affordable and long-lasting as well (a 30ml tube can last me at least 6 months!). 
  • Score: 8/10
  • Repurchase?: No because I've already bought It's Skin Collagen Voluming Eye Cream (it's like half the price of the Brighten System Eye Cream). However, I may go back to this one if the other one doesn't work well.
That's the end of my very long rambles about different eye creams I've tried. Hope this will be helpful for you. Have a nice day and I'll see you soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment